Saturday, June 01, 2013

My Wreath

A Long Long time ago, Wreaths were used on doors to announce the death of a family member.
I think the funeral home hung the wreath.
We had no cell phones, some had no phones of any kind, communication was almost non existent, unless you would write Letters.
( I am not a good letter writer, Now I regret not writing my Mom more, She once sent me a poem, "remember the Old folks at Home" I called, I called almost weekly but I believe time for a letter was valuable.
So back to the communications deal, If a neighbor drove by in his buggy he knew someone died and spread the word. That is how the country people survived and helped each other out.
A wreath on the door meant, I have a great loss, Drop by and see me.

Back to Letters,
In my collection I have letters written to Mama by my Great Grandma, my uncles, my Grandma.
In one letter, my Uncle James says, " have to go now Lou, Hugh wants to use the pencil"
They had only one pencil.  this letter was written in the late 40's. I have a card my grandpa sent my grandma telling her there was no work. It was addressed to Maggie Tuberville
Sparkman . No zip code, (not in existence at that time) No formal address, just her name. It was mailed to her in July 1946. I was 4 months old.

So back to the wreaths, I find it interesting to see wreaths on doors ALL TIME, as a decorator piece.
I, at this time, only use wreaths at Christmas. I am not sure how I feel about one for year round use. That brings back lots of memories, Always seeing that wreath on our door, when Daddy died, When Grandpa died, It is a part of my memories and my history.
However wreaths are beautiful and signify the circle of life. I learned more by checking wikipedia. Imagine my surprise when I had to ask it to find funeral traditions.
Laurel wreaths were worn by great kings, Young maidens carried wreaths in funeral processions to signify the purity of the departed.
The list goes on and on,
So I was just thinking.
Do I need a wreath of freshness and a reminder of the circle of life? No, Not need , but maybe I will get one Someday, Maybe, or Never Ever.

No comments: